Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a free and confidential service offered by appointment and is open to low-income and moderate-income individuals and families. VITA volunteers are IRS certified and will prepare basic tax forms such as the 1040. However, there are some forms that cannot be prepared by VITA.
VITA will prepare and file back taxes from 2019 to present. VITA is also able to prepare earlier years by request from the IRS, and provide assistance with amended returns.
Locations and Appointments
What to bring to your appointment
Listing of Forms VITA will prepare
Resources for frequent tax questions
Locations and Appointments
From January through April, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available to help low-to-moderate income residents prepare and file taxes at no charge. IRS certified volunteers are on site offering free information, tax preparation, and electronic filing for the previous year. VITA volunteers are available by appointment only. Please call to schedule an appointment, or view our location and appointment options listed below.
The CAC Ross Building location also offers free assistance with back taxes and amended returns during the regular tax filing season, and on an appointment only-basis during the rest of the year, from May through December.
To schedule an appointment please call 865-244-3086.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
In order for a VITA volunteer to prepare your tax return, you will need to bring ALL the following items to the appointment:
- Social Security Cards for ALL individuals to be claimed OR some other official documentation (e.g. ITIN)
- Photo ID (IDs for ALL filing)
- If filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign.
- All W-2 and/or 1099 forms for income received the previous year.
- Form 1095-A for you and anyone else that appears on your tax return, if either of you have Health Insurance through the Affordable Care Act Marketplace.
- Previous year’s property tax receipts
- All interest paid (1098) and childcare expenses.
- You MUST have a statement from the daycare provider that includes the EIN or Social Security number of the provider.
- Account and routing numbers of your checking/savings account for direct deposit
- Copies of the previous year’s tax return are helpful!
Forms VITA will prepare
VITA Volunteers can prepare the following forms during an appointment:
- Form 1040EZ
- Form 1040A with schedules 1,2,3 and EIC
- Form 1040 with schedules A,B, EIC, and R
- Form 1040-V
- Form 1040-ES
- Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Credit
- Form 8812 Additional Child Tax Credit
- Form 8863 Education Credits
The following forms will NOT be eligible to be completed by a VITA Volunteer during appointments:
- Schedule C Profit or Loss From Business
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses
- Schedule E Rent and Royalties
- Form SS-5 Request for a Social Security Number
- Form 2016 Employee Business Expense
- Form 3903 Moving
- Form 8606 Non-deductible IRA
- Form 8615 Minor’s Investment Income
Resources for Frequently asked Tax Questions
Help us get the word out about the Earned Income Tax Credit! The Earned Income Tax Credit makes life a little easier for working people. For the first time this year, millions more workers will qualify for the EITC, so awareness is critical. For more Information, please email CAC VITA with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program at the CAC Ross Building or call our office at (865) 546-3500.
The 2021 Tax Season was a great success, CAC VITA services helped 3,350 individuals and families “keep their money” by providing free income tax services.