Utility Assistance

Assistance to Ease the Energy Burden
There are several types of utility assistance currently available through CAC that includes:

Utility assistance payments will be made directly to your utility provider and will be credited on your bill. Please read about each program to determine what you may be eligible to receive.

If you are unsure about which program is the best one for you and have questions, call us.


Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is one of the most critical components of our community’s social safety net. Home heating costs are a big part of every household’s budget. Combined with increasing food and gas prices, staying warm all through this winter could be very difficult. LIHEAP provides heating and cooling assistance to roughly 8,000 households annually.  LIHEAP Assistance can be applied to a current or past due utility bill. If you are interested in getting help with your energy bills, you may want to see if LIHEAP can help you.

Eligibility Requirements:

Applicants may be assisted one time between October 2022 through September 2023 for LIHEAP Energy or Crisis Assistance, pending availability of funds or as other funds become available.  In order to qualify you must meet income guidelines.

Household SizeMonthly Gross Income
Required Application Documents:
  • Social Security cards for all members of your household and/or Birth Certificate for children less than one year old with no social security number.
  • Copy of Driver’s License or valid photo ID
  • Copy of your current utility bill
  • Proof of Income documentation as applicable to your household:
  • Current paystub with your gross (before tax) year to date earnings showing 8 weeks’ worth of pay (all sources of income must be reported with the exception of employment income for household members under age 18), or
  • Unemployment letter that documents your maximum benefit,
  • Worker’s Compensation Remaining Benefits, SSI, SSDI, Social Security, Families First, TANF, Child Support, or
  • If you receive food stamps/SNAP, you may submit your most recent DHS Award letter for household income.
  • Proof of military service (if applicable).
  • Lease documents (if living in Section 8 or Public Housing).
  • Anyone in your household age 18 or older that does not have income will need to be listed on the self‐declaration of zero income form.

You can apply for LIHEAP today!

There are 4 different ways to apply:
Apply Online

You will need an email account to use the online portal. Once you create an e-mail account, you can begin the process of applying for LIHEAP online. You should expect to provide personal and financial information on yourself and persons living in your household throughout the application. You will also need to upload copies of required documentation.

  • You will be able to save the application and come back to it later.
  • Once you complete the application, you should be able to submit it online.
  • You will receive an emailed confirmation that your application has been submitted.
  • You may be asked to verify additional information after you submit.
  • You can check in on the status of your application by revisiting the online portal.

Apply Now

Apply by Mail

Call us at (865) 637-6700 to request a copy of our application guide to be mailed to you.

When you get your LIHEAP application guide, fill it out completely and include information on all members of your household. You will also have to include required documents.

Include copies only of the required documentation. Do not send originals.

Mail the application via United States Postal Service to:


P.O. Box 51650,

Knoxville, TN 37950

You may be contacted by CAC staff for additional information to complete your application.

Apply by Email

You can download our LIHEAP application guide!

You will need to fill it out completely and include information on all members of your household. You will also have to also include required documentation to complete your LIHEAP program application.

You can scan and attach copies of your emailed application.

Your application and supporting required documentation should be emailed to liheap.intake@knoxcac.org or uploaded to the form below.

Apply by Email (Energy & Community Services)

  • Max. file size: 128 MB.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

You will receive an email confirmation that your application has been received.

You may be contacted by CAC staff for additional information to complete your application.

Make an Appointment
You will need to make an appointment to speak with staff in-person. To make an appointment, call us at (865) 637-6700.

You will need to bring the required application documents to your appointment in order to complete the application.

Learn How to Apply for LIHEAP Assistance With Our Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about how to apply for LIHEAP utility benefits. The guide includes:

  • Clear and simple directions
  • A application you can fill out
  • A checklist of documents required to complete your application
  • Sample images of required documentation


Low-Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

Your household could qualify for water/wastewater assistance. If your household is eligible for LIHEAP you may also be eligible for LIHWAP. A complete LIHEAP application and the LIHWAP form are needed to apply for water/wastewater assistance.

To apply, please include the LIHWAP form in your LIHEAP application packet. If you have already submitted a LIHEAP application packet, since October 1, 2022, then you will ONLY need to complete the LIHWAP form and provide a copy of your most recent water/wastewater bill.

You will not be able to apply using the on-line portal. You will need to deliver the “LIHWAP Form” and your water bill in person to 2247 Western Avenue, email the application to liheap.intake@knoxcac.org or mail the application to: ATTN: LIHWAP, P.O. Box 51650, Knoxville, TN 37950.

LIHWAP is a limited time program. Requests for water assistance will be accepted through September 30, 2023.

lady working at her desk

Project HELP

Project Help is an emergency energy assistance program that provides temporary assistance for people in need living within the KUB service area, regardless of the energy source in their home (electricity, natural gas, propane, heating oil, wood, or coal).

In order to qualify, you must have a final utility notice and meet income guidelines:

Household SizeANNUAL Gross Income
1From $19,141 up to $38,280
2From $25,861 up to $51,270
3From $32,581 up to $65,160
4From $39,301 up to $78,600
5From, $46,021 up to $92,040
6From $52,741 up to $105,480
7From $59,461 up to $118,920
8From $66,181 up to $132,360
To apply for Project Help, please call the LIHEAP office at (865) 637-6700.