Caring, dependable individuals needed to work part-time transporting passengers, including disabled passengers, to medical appointments and other services. Must be able to assist passengers on and off the vehicle, including those with disabilities and in wheelchairs. Must be able to lift up to fifty pounds, read, write, compute, and have good communications skills.
Qualifications: Must have a valid Tennessee Driver License and an excellent driving record. Must be able to obtain an F Endorsement on Driver License. Related education and /or experience. If hired, a physical exam, alcohol and drug screen, and national criminal background screening are required.
Salary: $15.97 per hour. This is part-time position. Benefits include vacation days, employer paid sick leave, and pro-rated holidays.
See complete job description below.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
KNOXVILLE-KNOX COUNTY COMMUNITY ACTION COMMITTEE
VOLUNTEER ASSISTED TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Part-Time Vehicle Driver
Summary: An employee in this classification receives general supervision by the Program Manager. This position requires the operation of agency vehicles to transport passengers, including disabled passengers, to medical appointments and other services. This position will be funded for up to a 12-month period.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive agency vehicles and escort clients to and from appointments, and other essential errands, as needed.
- Assist passengers with disabilities, including operating lift or ramp for passengers in wheelchairs.
- Stay with riders and provide support as requested during trips.
- Must be able to assist clients that use wheelchairs, ie: manually push, fold up, or assist onto ramp/lift.
- Assist all passengers on and off vehicles.
- Work flexible schedules including early morning, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Learn to drive and operate all agency vehicles and equipment in the VAT fleet.
- Collect fares and contributions and turn in daily as instructed.
- Log in and out daily and maintain close communication with Program Specialists or Program Manager.
- Responsible for performing daily safety and maintenance checks of assigned vehicle.
- Assume personal and full responsibility for interior cleanliness of assigned vehicle.
- Report vehicle defects or maintenance problems to the Program Manager or Program Specialists.
- Keep accurate records, report route sheet changes, and report any changes in client condition.
- Report any accident or incident involving clients or other employees to the supervisor.
- Assist with volunteer driver training or answering phones in the office as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed to ensure success of the program.
Knowledge and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Excellent driving record required.
Ability to read, understand, and follow written, oral and computer-generated instructions, including the ability to read a map and correctly operate on-board mobile data terminals and tablets.
Knowledge of the geographic area of Knoxville and surrounding areas.
Must be experienced in working with the elderly and/or persons with disabilities.
Must enjoy working with culturally diverse groups of seniors and/or persons with disabilities.
Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
Must be able to write legibly and complete forms accurately.
Good physical condition and ability to lift carry items weighing approximately 15 pounds.
Must be able to assist all passengers including individuals with disabilities and those who use wheelchairs.
Must be flexible and willing to work varied schedule if necessary.
Dependability and an excellent time and attendance record are essential.
Must use good judgment, tact, and courtesy in dealing with clients, other employees, and the public.
Base Qualification: Must have a good driving record, and safe driving habits. Must have related education/or experience and excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to pass Department of Transportation physical examination, national criminal background check, and motor vehicle record check. Ability to pass alcohol and drug screening and adhere to the Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol regulations.
Preferred Qualifications: Valid Tennessee Driver’s License and ability to secure an F Endorsement. Must be flexible, dependable, punctual, and have a good attendance record.
Salary & Wage Scale: Hourly rate – $15.97