Summary: An employee in this classification receives general supervision from the Assistant Transportation Director and receives daily oversight from the Transportation Operations Manager. This position requires the operation of agency vehicles to transport passengers, including disabled passengers, to medical appointments and other services and to deliver meals and other items to elderly homebound individuals.
Salary: $33,199 depending upon qualifications. Excellent benefits including employer paid health insurance, life insurance, contributions to pension plan, co-pay dental insurance, vacation days, sick leave days, and generous holidays.
See complete job description below.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
KNOXVILLE-KNOX COUNTY COMMUNITY ACTION COMMITTEE
TRANSIT JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Vehicle Operator
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive vehicles on official business only and over designated routes to transport clients and deliver meals.
- Assist passengers with disabilities, including operating lift for passengers in wheelchairs.
- Assist all passengers on and off vehicles.
- Work flexible schedules including early morning, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Learn and drive all transportation routes.
- Keep accurate, detailed log of miles driven, passengers transported, and other activities as instructed.
- Collect fares and contributions and turn in daily as instructed.
- Log in and out daily and maintain close communication with dispatcher and/or managers at all times.
- Responsible for turning in promptly the mileage logs, dispatch records, and other forms as instructed in order to facilitate invoicing.
- Responsible for performing daily safety and maintenance checks of assigned vehicle.
- Assume personal and full responsibility for interior cleanliness of assigned vehicle, plus the outside of all windows.
- Report vehicle defects or maintenance problems to the Transportation Fleet Safety Manager.
- Keep accurate records, report route sheet changes, and report any changes in client condition on assigned meal delivery routes.
- Report any accident or incident involving clients or other employees to the supervisor.
- Perform other duties as directed.
Knowledge and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Excellent driving record required.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow written, oral and computer-generated instructions, including the ability to read a map and correctly operate on-board mobile data terminals and tablets.
- Ability to make accurate calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and in written form.
- Must be able to complete forms, records, and route descriptions legibly, neatly, and accurately.
- Must be able to assist all passengers including individuals with disabilities and those who use wheelchairs as required.
- Good physical condition and the ability to push, pull, and lift coolers and cargo weighing up to fifty pounds.
- Must be willing and able to report to work during inclement weather.
- Dependability and an excellent time and attendance record are essential.
- Must use good judgment, tact, and courtesy in dealing with clients, other employees, and the public.
Base Qualifications: Ability to secure a Class D License with F Endorsement. Ability to read, write legibly, and perform basic math functions. Ability to pass a physical examination, national criminal background check, and motor vehicle record check. Ability to pass alcohol and drug screening and adhere to the Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol regulations.
Preferred Qualification: Valid Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger and School Bus endorsements and prior driving experience.
Salary: Grade 7