AmeriCorps Volunteer Opportunities
Year round opportunities abound! You can make a difference in Knox County Schools, neighborhoods, with seniors and in the local environment. Over 14,000 CAC AmeriCorps volunteers have provided 9,000 lbs. of food for the hungry; improved home safety for hundreds of seniors and cleaned 355 tons of litter from area creeks. There is a way to serve the community through AmeriCorps using your unique gifts!
For individualized volunteer opportunities, please call the CAC AmeriCorps office at 546-3500.
For current volunteer opportunities, go to www.idealist.org and search for “CAC AmeriCorps”
AMOS (Affordable Medicine Options for Seniors)
Contact Peggy Ransom at 524-2786 email email@example.com
- Talk to elderly people about the costs of their medicines. Training is provided about consumer issues related to prescription drugs.
- Use databases on the Internet to match a consumer’s needs to discounts, free medicines, and insurance.
- Help consumers complete application forms and pick up their medicines.
- Clerical help.
Beardsley Community Farm
Contact Khann Chov at 546-8446 or 556-2299 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weed and water flowers and vegetables and help with general maintenance on our urban farm
- Serve on Beardsley Farm Advisory Committee.
Foster Grandparent Program
Contact Toija Sandifer at 524-2786 or by Email: email@example.com
Foster Grandparent volunteers provide support services in educational settings to children with special or exceptional needs. Qualified individuals can receive a tax-free hourly stipend, mileage reimbursement, and training. This is a volunteer program, not to be confused with foster care.
Foster Grandparent Volunteers assist with:
- Developing reading, writing, math, and spelling skills
- Promoting development of self care, motor skills, task orientation
- Being a role model, mentor, and friend to children with exceptional needs
Please Note: In order to protect the children at all volunteer stations, there is a screening process for all Foster Grandparent Volunteers.
Contact Head Start at 522-2193 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer your time to do landscaping and yard work: trimming shrubs, picking up trash, painting playground equipment, weeding, etc.
Volunteer to read to children, talk to children, play with children, and work on the computer with children.
Please note: In order to protect the children in our care, there is a screening process for all Head Start volunteers.
Contact Misty Goodwin at 524-2786 by email: email@example.com
Volunteers are needed to to take program participants to meet and pick out pets at a local animal shelter as well as taking these pets of homebound seniors to a vet.
- Deliver Mobile Meals to local seniors in all areas of Knoxville and Knox County (Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.). You can volunteer every day, one day a week, one day a month, or any amount of time you can spare. We have routes that are designed to accommodate lunch hour schedules.
- Help pack and count food Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Mobile Meals Kitchen. We also have opportunities for groups to do special projects at the kitchen.
- Help answer telephones and do clerical work at the Senior Nutrition offices, Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. We also have opportunities for special projects.
O’Connor Senior Center
Contact Sue Massingill at 523-1135 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clerical help.
- Use your talents and experience to instruct classes or lead activities.
- Work with Health Services program to provide health screenings (Blood pressure, etc.)
Project LIVE (Living Independently Through Volunteer Efforts)
Contact Misty Goodwin at 524-2786 or by email: email@example.com
- Install safety devices in homes of frail and elderly persons.
- Help frail elderly persons with packing and unpacking their belongings when they relocate.
- Volunteer to perform minor home repairs such as repairing a dripping faucet, replacing a bro-ken window, or installing a grab bar in the bathroom.
RSVP (Retired & Senior Volunteer Program)
Contact Eden Slater at 524-2786 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RSVP offers many volunteer opportunities for seniors. After a brief telephone conversation or personal interview, the RSVP staff will match you with a volunteer opportunity that uniquely fits your interests.
Senior Companion Program
Contact Florence Dills at 524-2786 or by email: email@example.com
Senior Companion volunteers provide support services to older persons who have unmet physical, mental, or social needs. Qualified individuals can receive a tax-free hourly stipend, mileage reimbursement, and training.
Senior Companion Volunteers assist with:
- Personal care
- Assistance with meal preparation
- Social interaction
- Light Housekeeping
- Recreational activities
- Respite for caregivers
Please Note: In order to protect the seniors in our community, there is a screening process for all Senior Companion Volunteers
Volunteer Assisted Transportation (VAT)
Contact VAT at 524-2786 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide safe, accessible transportation services in agency-owned vehicles to seniors and persons with disabilities who require assistance to travel safely. Training provided. (All training costs covered by the program.)
- Stay with riders and provide assistance at appointments, grocery shopping and other errands.
- Ensure riders make it safely to their destinations. First Aid & CPR certification
- Prius hybrid & wheelchair accessible minivan orientation
- AAA Driver Improvement Program (As a volunteer driver you’ll receive a AAA membership discount!)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Contact VITA at 546-3500 or email email@example.com
- Provide Free income tax preparation for low to moderate income individuals and families in Knoxville/Knox County and surrounding counties. IRS training and certification is provided in tax preparation.
- Tax Services are provided at the L.T. Ross building year round. The East CAC Center provided tax services during the tax season by appointment.
- Volunteers provide tax assistance in a friendly, compassionate and confidential atmosphere.
- The bulk of the volunteers hours are during the months of January through mid April. Year round tax preparation services are offered, but on a much smaller scale.
- Volunteer for a shift that fits your schedule. Daytime and evening volunteer hours are available.
- Besides preparing taxes, we need volunteers that will greet clients with a smile and help them fill out forms and insure they have all the correct information for tax preparation.